Monday, June 1, 2015

Trigger weekend...

I just wrote a post over at my other blog (here) about how I am very tired and worn-out and not well physically and mentally need to do some work to sort myself out.. part of what I wrote was needing to relax a bit on the busy-work-stuff ... and here I am still sitting at the computer bashing out another blog post!!!

But this is my original lovely blog and I don't want to neglect it and this is the place where I come to feel good about my sober life because even though I have a good number of sober days up my sleeve (1364 to be precise!) I never want to take my recovery for granted.

I am grateful to be sober. I am grateful to never touch alcohol ever. I am grateful that I turned my life around.

Went away this past weekend with my three lovely boys - no Mr D - and I was thinking while I was away that this weekend was really ONE BIG TRIGGER ... and one during which I would usually drink LOTS more than usual.

1) Mr D was away. Usually I always drank when he was away or out, to sort of 'have a party for myself' or something. I know from following along a lot of other people's sobriety journeys that this is very common. Our other halves go away and it's an excuse to drink more. Loneliness? Or just freedom to drink heavily without being judged? Neither for me any more...

2) Away from home. Always another big trigger. A special occasion! Get the treats in! Of course the biggest 'treat' would always be some fancy red wine or bubbles or even a cocktail of sorts. Not for me baby.. I found a nice unusual non-alcoholic drink at the supermarket on the way to the holiday house and had 3 mini bottles of it over the course of the weekend. And of course I travelled with my favourite treaty chamomile tea bags to have in the evening (Harney & Sons brand). I know how to look after myself when I travel. I ALWAYS travel with my favourite tea bags.

So yay me. I am a brave sober warrior. I am a hard working woman who still needs to work on getting the work/life balance right but at least I have one big fat fabulous fact in my corner.

I DON'T TOUCH ALCOHOL EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now if you'll excuse me I have pyjamas to put on and a sofa to lie on......

Love, Mrs D xxx

13 comments:

  1. Yay! If you start with that one fact than you can figure out the rest!
    And a nice day on the sofa sounds like the perfect reward.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you're a bit run down, Mrs D. I hope you feel better soon! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eerm Mrs D surely you are allowed to take a holiday - you know a real one where you go offline, sleep, exercise, do what you feel like and not feel responsible for everything and everyone - maybe a week? Sorry if that's way out of line but you've done so much, Well I would sure understand if you disappeared for a while, guess others would as well xx WobblyBird

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Devil's AdvocaatJune 2, 2015 at 8:35 AM

    Sounds like you need to 'unplug'. I would say you've exchanged your alcohol addiction for an internet addiction and now it's getting on top of you. Your brain is overstimulated from excessive use of electronic devices and yet you're paradoxically trying to find inner calm through using them. It's never going to work. You have a need to share your story and your truth, and that's great and it's helped you and others but now it may have run its course and you may have to re-evaluate your lifestyle choices.... Or at least express yourself in a different way.... perhaps just good old fashioned pen and paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all have our ups and downs. Learning how to deal with them, makes us stronger. You are doing great. We are all allowed to be emotional. We are also allowed to take breaks. From everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mrs. D,
    I hope you are getting rest.
    You are a busy woman!
    I wonder if life will always be too much one day and too little the next.
    At least that seems to be how my life goes!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a place I come to feel good about my sober life too, my dear. I think I have 8 days fewer than you. It's been one helluva ride hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms.Penelope.DroppedJune 2, 2015 at 3:32 PM

    Hey Mrs.D,

    Annual holidays, real weekends etc. are so elusive when you are self employed. You deserve to put those on the calendar lady!

    Please accept this medal for packing in, packing out, tidying and cleaning for four at either end of your holiday weekend....that part of the 'holiday' sucks.....bigtime!
    Hugs and a steaming hot cup 'o' tea,
    xPenny

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a bit in the AA promises about "will intuitively know how to handle situations that used to baffle us"... I think you are getting there

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is a bit in the AA promises about "will intuitively know how to handle situations that used to baffle us"... I think you are getting there

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on all the sober time! I love your bringing tea and drinks when travelling to reduce cravings/triggers. I'm going to borrow that trick the next time I go away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You will be pleased to know you have been awarded 8th place in our top 10 addiction blogs 2015. To see the list please see:
    http://www.homedetox.co.uk/top-10-addiction-blogs/

    We share your blog with all our clients and find it so useful.Inspiration is hard to come by on the web!!

    Kind regards

    Grant
    grant@homedetox.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been sober for 3 days and have almost finished your book. I was thinking "What will I do when the book is finished?" Then I remembered your blog. Glad to be here.

    ReplyDelete